1 year ago
Kathy Griffin elected to go on the offensive against the Trump administration and its supporters on Friday—days after apologizing for the gruesome photoshoot in which she held up a bloody fake head depicted to resemble the president.
During a press conference in Woodland Hills, Calif., on Friday, a teary Griffin raged against the abuse and “death threats” she has received since the controversial images were released on Tuesday, reported CNN.
Her attorney, Lisa Bloom, accused Trump and his family of “using their power to target (Griffin).”
Trump had previously tweeted out that his 11-year-old son has been affected by the grisly photo.
Kathy Griffin should be ashamed of herself. My children, especially my 11 year old son, Barron, are having a hard time with this. Sick!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 31, 2017
Griffin and Bloom believe that the backlash to the photo is worse because Griffin is female, and that it is symptomatic of misogyny and authoritarian repression, according to Salon. They believe the backlash has been much harsher than anything Griffin has said or done.
Initially Griffin refused to apologize, even though criticism came pouring in from all sides.
For the record, I am appalled by the photo shoot Kathy Griffin took part in. It is clearly disgusting and completely inappropriate.
— Anderson Cooper (@andersoncooper) May 31, 2017
Since the controversial photos were released, Griffin was fired from her gig on CNN’s New Year’s Eve program, which she has hosted since 2007. She also lost her endorsement deal with Squatty Potty, a line of bathroom footstools. At least five of her stand-up gigs have been cancelled, too.
I am sorry. I went too far. I was wrong. pic.twitter.com/LBKvqf9xFB
— Kathy Griffin (@kathygriffin) May 30, 2017
She apologized on Tuesday but the backlash continued. Through tears, Griffin said at the press conference that even though she apologizes for offense, she is not going to stop using Trump as fodder for her comedic routines.