5 months ago
Fox News host Sean Hannity is defending his choice not to disclose his massive real estate empire, following a report that he purchased discounted and foreclosed properties as investment tools through shell companies. These purchases received support from the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Hannity said in a statement on Monday that he did not need to disclose what he described as his “personal” investments.
The Guardian released details of Hannity’s real estate portfolio on Sunday, following an investigation into President Donald Trump’s attorney, Michael Cohen. Hannity was revealed to have previously undisclosed ties to Cohen during a court heart last week. After his name was released in connection to Cohen, Hannity said that he was not a client of Cohen’s but sought his advice on real estate. Among the documents, the FBI seized from Cohen were details on the real estate investments, reports The Huffington Post.
In his statement on Monday, Hannity said that he did not “individually select, control or know the details about” the real estate investments that he made, but he was aware that they were going to communities that, as he described, “badly needed such investment.” The Guardian reported that Hannity is linked to more than 870 homes purchased in seven states over the last decade. Their value totals at least $90 million. These mortgage loans were acquired through HUD’s National Housing Act, and Hannity never disclosed them when interviewing Ben Carson while he was secretary of HUD.Read the full story at The Huffington Post